Ok, so now that i have turned off Geordie Shore, i may actually be able to start writing something with some sort of substance. In saying that, I feel that Geordie Shore is a great intro to what I want to write about today, and that being the super exciting city of London. Please note however, that there are major differences between the people in Geordie shore and the people in London, and the rest of the UK really. See below:
When most people think of London they think of cold dreary weather and big Ben. When i think of London, I think of a second home and an amazingly fun city. I suppose normally the same old cliches spring to mind when considering London or the UK, the royals, the union jack, tower bridge, and bad food. However this is the year that all of these cliches are once again relevant, as in my opinion, there is no better place to be than in London this year, and here are my reasons why:
Firstly, the UK is still on a high from Wills and Kate’s royal wedding of last year. Which i might say was probably my highlight of 2011 also. The only downside about the wedding that i can think of, was that i was unable to get my hands on some more brilliant souvenirs commemorating the great day, like these awesome Kate and Wills tea bags and these super chic nail decals. I'm actually only half joking, these are cool.
Secondly and still on the royal bandwagon (for those of you who don't know, I love the royal family and they will most likely make regular appearances in my blog) 2012 is the queens Diamond Jubilee. So it’s her 60th anniversary of being on the throne, mussel-tuff I say. Anyone who can wander around cities all over the world, accepting flowers, waving and pretending to be interested in boring stuff for 60 years has my vote. I would have lost patience years ago. In saying this however, I do believe her patience threshold may be waning, if the below picture is anything to go by... Or perhaps she’s just seen Camilla again... or maybe she’s watching Geordie Shore. I'd feel the same way if I was looking at Camilla PB or watching Charlotte sook about Gary again.
Either way, I think she’s a winner. Its a shame the same cant be said for Phillip. He's just a continual accident waiting to happen. Here's an example of Phil at his best:
"You look as if you're ready for the bed."
Philip’s greeting for the Nigerian secretary-general of the Commonwealth, who was dressed up in his ceremonial robes for a state dinner.
Good on him! Every family has to have the awkward uncle who's foot is permanently in his mouth. But anyway back to HRH (letters I aspire to have added to my name one day) What I do like about the Queen is that she's willing to give anything a go, like playing Wii for example...
Theres not too many over 60's (my parents excluded) who get the old wii out for a game of bowls (except my parents)
So Happy 60th Liz, get amongst it and keep going with your amazing hats.
Either way, I think she’s a winner. Its a shame the same cant be said for Phillip. He's just a continual accident waiting to happen. Here's an example of Phil at his best:
"You look as if you're ready for the bed."
Philip’s greeting for the Nigerian secretary-general of the Commonwealth, who was dressed up in his ceremonial robes for a state dinner.
Good on him! Every family has to have the awkward uncle who's foot is permanently in his mouth. But anyway back to HRH (letters I aspire to have added to my name one day) What I do like about the Queen is that she's willing to give anything a go, like playing Wii for example...
Theres not too many over 60's (my parents excluded) who get the old wii out for a game of bowls (except my parents)
So Happy 60th Liz, get amongst it and keep going with your amazing hats.
And finally 2012 is to be the year that London will host the 30th Olympic games. If you’ve ever been in a city whilst it plays host to an Olympics (which I haven't) then you will know first hand (which I don't), how the city comes alive with the influx of all the visitors, the extra and extended calendar of events and the general excitement in the air. There is a sense of festivity that hangs over the city (not in a christmas way) and people generally appear happier and more friendly, which bodes well for Londoners especially, who can be a bit cold and grumpy at the best of times.
It is also the time when the city really turns it on for the world to see. They clean up the streets, renovate tourist attractions and add extra public transport in an effort to showcase their city. Kinda like cleaning the house top to bottom before you have people over and getting out the fine china to eat off instead of the cheap ikea plates normally used.
If I remember correctly, while the Beijing Olympics were on, the Chinese actually attempted to control the weather, so to cover up their enormous amount of constant pollution that hung in the air. Ummm, yeah, it didn't work. But points for effort.
If I remember correctly, while the Beijing Olympics were on, the Chinese actually attempted to control the weather, so to cover up their enormous amount of constant pollution that hung in the air. Ummm, yeah, it didn't work. But points for effort.
![]() |
| Beijing Olympics |
London Olympic stadium
So in summary, i wanted to draw attention to the fact that this is the year of London and whilst the majority of us will not be able to attend the year long party, we should all try and drop in sometime soon before the ikea plates come back out and Liz hands the reigns over to Charles...
So stay tuned peeps, as i will be sure to keep you updated with all London/Olympics/Diamond Jubilee news as it comes to hand. Until then...
xxx
So stay tuned peeps, as i will be sure to keep you updated with all London/Olympics/Diamond Jubilee news as it comes to hand. Until then...
xxx








No comments:
Post a Comment