So with Paris fashion week winding up last week, the Ready to Wear shows for 12/13 are all done, meaning that we now have time to sort through all the trends and decide which ones we can actually get on board with. I’m gonna put out it out there straight away however and say that most of us will probably not pick up Marc Jacobs ‘big hat’ obsession, for obvious reasons. I don’t doubt at all however that certain celeb/fashion 'it' peeps will eat these hats up for breakfast and look amazing while doing so. and, Yes I'm talking about ADR and probably Jamiroquai.
![]() |
| Hats at Marc Jacobs |
So the first overwhelming trend I spied with my little eye, was Black. Yes black is back and in a big way. Nearly every show had some component of head to toe black. I can already hear all Melburnians shrieking with excitement, finally we can look on trend instead of just morbid, yay! Black for next season is all in the texture (fur and leather especially) and comes in sharp tailoring, military shapes and the big black coat is a must have.
Seen at Alexander Wang, Giselle romped down the runway in an intense gestapo-esq leather overcoat with knee highs, another obvious choice for next season.
Lanvin, Givenchy, Balmain, Alexander Wang
Another noticeable trend is bold and bright prints in 60’s/70’s style patterns. The Italians love a bit of this, with Miuccia Prada sending out some statement suits in bright oranges, yellows, purples and deep blues in both the Prada and Miu Miu collections. Despite the fact that these fabrics are very reminiscint of the lovely curtains we had in my caravan as I was growing up, I still totally adore the garishness of this trend and look forward to this intensely patterned colour drop next winter.
Kenzo, Prada, Anna Sui
While still on the colour/pattern bandwagon, I feel it important to mention the playful almost cartoonish finishes that adorned Marc Jacob’s bonanza Louis vuitton collection. Romantic Old world dressing was made modern through oversized collars, enormous floral buttons and huge squashed hats. As if this wasnt enough, he teamed these elements back with the aforementioned intensely colourful patterns. um, I know!
So how exactly, will we (the normal mundane peeps) channel this, I hear you ask. Well, we will take elements of these looks and not attempt to recreate the entire head to toe look, as I feel this is where we may end up looking like a 70‘s inspired amish christmas tree. Not exactly the look we're going for.
Louis Vuitton
Next up for fall is embellishment. Severe, OTT embellishment and embroidery. Balmain has long established itself as the brand of embellishment, and this season went with a Faberge egg inspired theme. This classical theme mixed in with the usual sexiness that Balmain lives by, resulted in gorgeous embroidered vests, dresses and the Balmain staple: The Embellished Jacket.
Louis Vuitton & Prada also oozed embellishment, from the huge gems and buttons to the amish buckles on the shoes to the over embellished fabrics, that scream excessiveness.
Dolce & Gabbana also went for the excessive understated look, with their Catholic Italian girls dripping with lace, beads and pearls. They also must have called my mum and asked her to whip out the old cross stitch to help with some of their looks, one in particular which almost remind me of the bird on Rosella Tomato sauce... hmm
Balmain, Louis Vuitton, Dolce and Gabbana
Moving on from colour and pattern, an overall trend this season seemed to focus on new shapes and strong structure. A somewhat hardened edge to women. While this was still quite feminine, shapes were sharp and exaggerated and silhouettes were top heavy, emphasising the shoulders, an obvious nod to physical strength.
Stella Mc emphasized and exaggerated the hips, Chanel went for the shoulders and YSL cinched in the waist.
Prob best to choose one area to focus on and then simplify everything else. I think the only person who could pull off big shoulders, cinched waist and exaggerated hips all at the one time is L Gaga. Enough said.
Chanel, YSL, Stella Mc Cartney, Hermes, Miu Miu, Kenzo
Manish styling also made an appearance more than a few times throughout the RTW shows and did so in a very practical way. Suits, shirts with ties and man style brogues were everywhere. I personally admire this look, but wouldn't even attempt to emulate it for fear of looking butch, however I encourage all to dabble. In saying that, I do strongly advise against attempting to emulate Carrie Bradshaw - wearing a mans shirt over sized, belted as a dress with a pair of heels.
So that's some of the fun to come that I found! Obviously theres heaps more, but theres a quick Danview for you. Until next time...
xxx



No comments:
Post a Comment